[Gllug] Region Free DVDs - petition

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Mon Mar 23 14:34:39 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 02:11:30PM +0000, Dan Kolb wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 01:37:41PM +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
> >
> > You may want to sign this petition:
> >
> > 	http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/DVD-region-free/
>
> So, the people who sign want the Prime Minister to *personally* remove
> region-encoding from DVDs? Somehow I'm not sure that's going to work....
>
> "We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to make it legal to sell
> non-region-locked DVD players" may work better.
>
> Also, thanks to the wonderful difference between NTSC and PAL, the MPEG files
> onthe DVD are going to be slightly different - different resolution and frame
> rates.

Thanks to a couple of years living in the US, my DVD collection is now
50/50 split between Region 1 NTSC, and Region 2 PAL disks. With the help
of a nice Oppo DVD player which can deinterlace 3:2 and 2:2 encodings,
and also upconvert to 720p, I can't say there's any serious difference in
quality watching PAL vs NTSC on a high-def TV. Of course it still doesn't
match quality of a true highdef source like BluRay.

Regards,
Daniel
--
|: http://berrange.com/     -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|