[Gllug] Biometrics?

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 23 10:27:06 UTC 2009

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 09:58:05 +0000 Dylan <dylan at dylan.me.uk> wrote:

> On Monday 23 March 2009, John G Walker wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 09:40:33 +0000 (GMT) Chris Bell
> >
> > <chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > > how big is a DNA ID record?
> >
> > They don't record all the DNA details of an individual, which would
> > eb impossible.
>
> Practically useless and vastly over-expensive, maybe, not
> impossible[0]; although if they thought they could get us to agree to
> the fees they'd probably try.

There are approximately 25,000 "genes" (in the sense of strips of DNA
that create proteins) in the human genome. Add too this the vast amount
of "junk" DNA (which may not be junk, but is certainly individual), and
then try to estimate how long it would take to record all that
information from a single individual.

Practically useless and vastly over-expensive for a single individual.
An impossible task for any large number of people.

Just because a it's possible to specify a job (which is what I think is
in your mind), it doesn't mean it's possible,

--
 All the best,
 John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk