[Gllug] make dist - ignore CVS subdirs

salsaman at xs4all.nl salsaman at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 30 17:38:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, March 30, 2009 18:36, Peter Corlett wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 06:31:08PM +0200, salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
>> Since this group appears to be all-knowing, somebody please answer the
>> following - how do I get "make dist" to ignore all CVS subdirectories in
>> the tree ?
>
> Could you have provided any less context for the question?
>
> Assuming a handmade Makefile, you should be able to use '--exclude=CVS' as
> an argument to tar to skip the files. (Although this is probably a
> GNU-ism.)
>
> If you used a Makefile-creator tool, you'll have to tell us which one.
>
> --

I use a handmade Makefile.am

automake creates Makefile.in from this, and configure then creates Makefile.

This is *standard* use of autotools.

For example though, in the top level Makefile.am, there is

extra_dist=

which includes extra files and directories in "make dist". What I want is
the exact opposite of this.

Regards,
Salsaman.
http://lives.sourceforge.net