[Gllug] [OT] Support model for Linux vs M$

salsaman at xs4all.nl salsaman at xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 12 13:48:32 UTC 2009

On Thu, March 12, 2009 14:22, j.roberts wrote:
> salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
>
>> So, you count the cost of the Windows lock-in to be a part of the TCO of
>> any alternative solution ?
>
> Yes of course. There IS no practical non-Windows solution in these
> cases. So why pretend there is?

Can you give a few examples of Windows software for which there exists no
Free alternative ? I am frequently asked by FOSS developers for ideas for
products to develop.

>> IMO, these lock-in-related costs should be quoted as part of the TCO for
>> the original Windows install. Then we would get a truer picture of the
>> relative values.
>
> Agreed - but this is not the market I exist in.

But you exist in the IT consultancy market, no ? So you are allowing your
predecessors to foist THEIR costs on you, and you accept this without
complaint ?

Imagine you were a financial consultant, and your predecessor had tried to
lock somebody into a very badly perfoming pension scheme. Would you advise
them to continue with the scheme, or would you advise them to cut their
losses and switch to a superior scheme ?

Why should things be any different in IT ?

>> There is also a morale thing - all of the people I know who work in IT
>> because they enjoy such work, prefer Linux to Windows. Most people who
>> prefer windows do such work because it is a job they can do and have
>> been
>> trained to do (rather than want to do). But YMMV.
>
> I could not agree more - but you are preaching to the converted. Our
> clients' staff do not work in IT. They are legal clerks, warehousemen,
> council employees, secretaries, and directors.
>
> They have no training whatsoever - nor will any be forthcoming. They are
> all lying through their teeth about their 'IT skills'.

So they have no network engineers, system managers, programmers...anything
? All of this work gets done by itself ?

Salsaman.
http://lives.sourceforge.net

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk