[Gllug] ntfs defrag

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Tue Mar 3 11:07:44 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 11:02:49AM +0000, Richard wrote:

> > Writing to, as opposed to reading from, NTFS partitions under Linux has
> > always been considered risky.  Since the only circumstances under which
> > most people would be mounting NTFS on Linux would be a dual-boot system,
> > why increase the risk when there's another OS on the computer that can
> > perform the task safely?
>
> I'm not quite sure what the big issue is with writing to NTFS.  The
> format is strange, but sane (speaking as someone who reverse
> engineered it to write 'virt-df').  If the Linux kernel NTFS driver
> corrupts the disk, that's an issue with the kernel programmers being
> incompetent, not with NTFS or some Big Bad MS Secret in the format
> itself.  I notice the FUSE/userspace NTFS driver can read and write to
> NTFS just fine ..

I'm not much bothered about the "why".  The only situation in which I
would be mounting NTFS partitions would be on a dual-boot system and in
that situation I would use the MS degrag tool if I had to use anything.

--
Bruce

A problem shared brings the consolation that someone else is now
feeling as miserable as you.