[Gllug] Grauniad Technology

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Mar 21 00:34:33 UTC 2009

On 19 Mar 2009, John Hearns told this:

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/mar/19/linux-open-source
>
> "There is a peculiar satisfaction to be had from fitting together all
> the different bits of a Unix command until it does exactly what you
> want, but of course it has nothing to do with real productivity,"

Indeed. I used a pile of elaborate pipelines today as a lashup of
analysis tools to quantify the bottlenecks in a largish distributed
system, as a direct result of which its performance was trebled (in a
day!) so now my workplace's customers can destroy the global financial
system three times as fast as before (and they were doing a bloody
bad^Wgood job of it beforehand).

But of course *that* is nothing to do with real productivity. (But then,
what is? Mining, I suppose.)

Bah.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk