[Gllug] [O/T] Grr... new keyboard

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Mar 12 10:04:58 UTC 2009

On 12 Mar 2009, at 00:24, Nix wrote:
[...]
> It's not as if decent mail clients are exactly hard to find.

Surprisingly, they are. All Software Sucks, after all.

The worst MUA I've encountered is Lotus Notes. It's so bad, it makes
Outlook look good.

The least-worst GUI MUA I've found is Apple's Mail.app. When I connect
with my 3G dongle, Mail.app notices the interface coming up and fires
up and burns a meg or two on idle IMAP chatter. I love the way that it
occasionally gets so confused that it eats the local mail database and
loses all of its configuration which is the main reason I use IMAP
because it keeps the mail safe. And of course it's not FOSS, which
some people care about. (I mostly care about whether it locks-in my
data, which it doesn't.)

On the Unix command line, Mutt's my favourite for single-mailbox
browsing, but I don't like its folder support. Pine has much nicer
folder support, but the rest of it is clunky.

One day, I'll write a MUA that doesn't suck. I've been saying that
since 1996.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk