[Gllug] VACANCY: Linux Systems Administrator / PHP Developer

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Mar 27 17:12:37 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 04:45:14PM +0000, - Tethys wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
>> The market rate for the advertised job is about 30-45k as a permie, or
>> about 200-300/day as a contractor.
> There's a simple course of action. If you feel the rate offered is lower
> than you'd like, don't apply for the job.

I haven't, as it's not a role that particularly interests me anyway.

> David has offered a position, and given all the relevant details required
> for this list, so there's little cause to complain. The salary may put you
> off, but there may well be others that would be happy to take it.

Well, I was just noting that it was below market rate as a heads-up to
anybody who might be considering applying. After all, why do a job for 28k
if you can do the same sort of thing somewhere else for 35k?

> From what I've seen, salaries have dropped fairly rapidly in recent times,
> so it wouldn't surprise me. That's the way free markets work.

There's always a bit of a slump between about November and March, so the
background noise of roles that are unfillable or have high turnover become
more prominent. Also, banging on about a poor economy is a negotiation
tactic by employers. So negotiate back to get the rate back up!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk