[Gllug] RSI: Was VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

Lesley Binks lesleyb at pgcroft.net
Mon Mar 2 20:13:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 03:01:15PM +0000, Khusro Jaleel wrote:
> > I've had both RSI and whiplash injuries.  I use a mouse lefthanded but mostly
> > prefer keyboard shortcuts where graphical interfaces are a must - other
> > than that it's the CLI for me.  I also bought a decent chair with all
> > the twiddles I could possibly want on it.  And I had physio.
>
> I was hoping you could elaborate a little on which chair you got
> (where and how much)? I'm trying to find a reliable and comfortable
> chair with 'all the twiddles' but haven't had too much luck.

Mine was from Ikea but about 9 years ago and I have begun to think about
replacing it.  I haven't regassed it ever.
> I would ideally like to go somewhere and sit on a few before buying
> one obviously but I'm not sure which places have a wide enough range
> of them?
>
> The obvious places like PC World, Staples, Ikea and Argos only have 1
> or 2 chairs that are better than the rest but those frequently don't
> have all the twiddles. I would especially like to be able to adjust
> the back of the chair, not just the height, for example.
I can adjust the height and tilt of both the seat and the back.
Highly amusing.

It did cost me about £99 in 1999.  Be prepared to spend.

It depends what sort of adjustments you are looking for.  Height and
tilt are useful.  My chair back isn't rigid - it will give a little
as I move but I can alter how giving it is.

I think I was lucky to find that chair because I have had so much use
out of it.  Dread to think how much a replacement would cost now.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90074850
looks promisingly similar -
height adjustable seat and backrest plus tilt adjustment both for the
whole chair and the seat only.  The leather one knocks in at £180 but
the cloth ones are £146 which I think is a good deal.  I prefer the
cloth - nice and breathable.

Regards

L.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk