[Gllug] To LLU or Not to LLU?

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Sat Mar 28 13:29:09 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-03-28 at 10:48 +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> On 27 Mar 2009, at 22:04, Nix wrote:
> [...]
> > My tiny mind just exploded. How do you *weld* optical fibre?
>
> It's basically a high-tech version of knotting the ends together and
> sticking a lighter underneath.

When I did it last week, it involved the use of a laser to cut and
polish the ends, some interesting smelling chemicals to clean the
fibres, and some glue to join the flat ends of the fibre together.  The
jig used to connect one end to the other that we use also sleeves the
joint, and then the fibre is tested for integrity and path loss.  The
whole thing takes a couple of minutes per join.

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk