[Gllug] [OT] Support model for Linux vs M$

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 10:17:56 UTC 2009

2009/3/16 Jose Luis Martinez <jjllmmss at googlemail.com>:

> The only way to sway such issues is by pressure, so it becomes
> politically damaging to support a certain stance.
>
> As things are going it would not surprise me if in 20 years time the
> conditions exist to rein in companies that monopolize markets in the
> digital world, once a new breed of politicians with a different
> outlook regarding copyright and patents reach the corridors of
> power...

The problem being that it effects so much. Copyright, pays authors,
musicians, TV, Film you name it.

If you rewrite copyright, they have to find another way to be paid. So
it is actually quite difficult to change.

I suspect that this MAY have something to do with the current economic
situation. In that the ease there is now to copy just about anything,
has meant piracy is rife and the old model just does not work any
more. Weather you break the revenue cycle legally or illegally it
still tops the money from flowing which causes everyone a problem
sooner or later.

I'm all for a change to the world order, but it ain't going to happen
overnight.

Peter
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk