[Gllug] [OT] Support model for Linux vs M$

j.roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Thu Mar 12 13:22:21 UTC 2009

salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:

> So, you count the cost of the Windows lock-in to be a part of the TCO of
> any alternative solution ?

Yes of course. There IS no practical non-Windows solution in these
cases. So why pretend there is?

> IMO, these lock-in-related costs should be quoted as part of the TCO for
> the original Windows install. Then we would get a truer picture of the
> relative values.

Agreed - but this is not the market I exist in.

> There is also a morale thing - all of the people I know who work in IT
> because they enjoy such work, prefer Linux to Windows. Most people who
> prefer windows do such work because it is a job they can do and have been
> trained to do (rather than want to do). But YMMV.

I could not agree more - but you are preaching to the converted. Our
clients' staff do not work in IT. They are legal clerks, warehousemen,
council employees, secretaries, and directors.

They have no training whatsoever - nor will any be forthcoming. They are
all lying through their teeth about their 'IT skills'.

--

James Roberts
Stabilys.com
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk