[Gllug] VirginMedia or Urban Wi-Max experiences

Andy Millar andy at andymillar.co.uk
Thu Mar 5 08:55:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 06:47 +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> For example, their "20 Mb/s" offering is actually (at best) 5 Mb/s with
> occasional faster bursts.  If you actually try to do anything useful
> with a VM connection, they deliberately cripple your speed (they call it
> "STM" - "Subscriber Traffic Management").  It's contrary to their T &
> Cs, but they don't care about that.

The speed seemed pretty good when I used them; I was easily able to get
2MB/s from their 20MBit connection which was rather good.

Their rate limiting, however, is a *joke* considering their offering it
as an "unlimited" service.

They also have a stupid billing policy (going for shutting your
connection off if their bill becomes overdue and saying that they don't
like to contact customers if their bill is overdue because they might
find it insulting). It also then takes up to 48 hours to turn it back
on.

- Andy
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk