[Gllug] To LLU or Not to LLU?

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Thu Mar 26 14:13:31 UTC 2009

Juergen Schinker <ba1020 at homie.homelinux.net> writes:

> Matthew King wrote:
>> Juergen Schinker <ba1020 at homie.homelinux.net> writes:
>>
>>> this must not be BT and should not be
>>>
>>> the market needs to be liberalized and BT forced to sell the last mile
>>> or rent it to a very reasonable price ...
>>
>> Oh how glad I am that the different gas and electricity companies all
>> have their own quality infrastructure coming to my door. So cheap. So
>> safe. So efficient.
>>
>> Wait...
>>
>> Matthew
>>

> the network needs to be split from the suppliers

Why? So you cat get your high-quality rose-scented gas?

Or maybe you want your electricity to be 110V @60Hz.

When private companies are given control of essential infrastructure,
that is bad. When that problem is solved by giving more companies
control, it doesn't get better.

In fact I'd like BT, or whatever the government-controlled[1]
organisation would be called, to give me a IP block (4 and 6) and an
ethernet port and then get out of the way, allowing me to choose my
phone provider in the same way I choose my search engine and I'd like to
pay no more for it than is necessary for the installation and
maintenance.

Matthew

[1] Yes, yes, government is shit. But while I'm giving a wishlist I'll
just add that I'd like it not to be.

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk