[Gllug] [OT] Support model for Linux vs M$

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sat Mar 14 17:53:52 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 06:29:38PM +0100, salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
<snip>
>> Evidence?
>
> Bill Gates launching vista from the Scottish parliament and giving a boost
> to Gordon Brown's career. (I can't find the link now, But GB was in some
> danger of losing his parliamentary seat in a by-election at the time, and
> BG launching Vista from the Scottish parliament gave GB a nice boost and
> quite possibly saved his seat).

Easily disproved by a few minutes searching Google, newspapers
and the Parliment website.

Gordon Brown's parliamentary seat is Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath,
created in 2005. There has only been one election there, the
2005 general election, when Windows Vista did not exist.

Bill Gates did the UK launch of Vista in London:
	http://www.microsoft.com/events/executives/billgates.mspx

Though he did later visit the *Scottish* parliment in Edinburgh
for the Microsoft Government Leaders' Forum:
	http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/nmCentre/news/news-06/pa06-068.htm
	http://business.scotsman.com/business/Bill-Gates-visit-to-open.2833937.jp
	http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article1290452.ece

(the Scotsman article does not mention London at all)

Microsoft is guilty of many things, but I doubt helping Gordon
Brown's reputation by associating him with Vista is one of them.

And it would be unkind to go through the full list of the
similarities between the two.