[Gllug] how safe is linux against identity thief

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Mar 31 12:19:17 UTC 2009

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 10:06:07 +0100, "Daniel P. Berrange" <dan at berrange.com>
wrote:
[snip]
> I've always worried about DD for paying CC in the event that someone were
> to fradualently use my CC.

I would never let it get that far.  I've had a couple of occasions when
unexplained items appeared on my CC bill.  When this happens you need to
contact your CC company *immediately* and query them.  They will then put
them on hold whilst they pass the query on to the people raising the
charge.  The onus is then on them (the retailers or whatever) to justify
the charge, and your CC company certainly shouldn't be asking for any money
from you until the query has been cleared.

> In the past I've had several thousand GBP
> worth of fradulent charges on my CC, and would not have wanted that
> immediately direct debited from my bank account.

It wouldn't be immediate.  They have to give you notice before doing the
DD.  My CC company give me 21 days from the statement date before they take
the money.

> Of course they are
> supposed to refund direct debits, no questions asked, but has anyone
> had experiance of getting this done after disputed CC charges ?

I haven't actually had to do it for CC charges (see "contact your CC
company" above) but I have done it a couple of times for quite significant
amounts of money (Demon - this means you).  It doesn't matter where the DD
charge emanates from - if you tell your bank to reverse it then they must
reverse it immediately.

Cheers,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk