[Gllug] Programmer Wanted (scripter and compiler)

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue May 5 23:31:40 UTC 2009

On 5 May 2009, John Hearns stated:

> 2009/5/4 Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk>:
>>
>> You couldn't get 8Gb of RAM for one though: they do everything in
>> threes, like the Ramans. 12Gb is practical (as is 24Gb ;) ).
>
> Is that the Ramans as in Noodles or the Italians :-)

The last line of _Rendezvous with Rama_, Clarke (1972): 'The Ramans do
everything in threes.'

(read it. Avoid the sequels cowritten with Gentry Lee. In fact there are
no sequels, and anyone claiming that there were can be sent to the
parallel universe wherein the Dune sequels reside. There are none in
this universe.)

> Have a 12Gbyte Nehalem system on evaluation - i tis nice.
> Yes, 24Gbyte would be even nicer.

Compared to an Athlon IV, it's, well, so fast that I can do things like
simulated annealing where each annealing step would have taken the old
machine a few *days*, and the thing is still finished in an hour or two.

I like. (yes, I could use a less brute-force technique, but it's useful
to know that the crude approaches *work* if you have insane amounts of
machine time :))) )
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk