[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun May 17 14:40:11 UTC 2009

On 15 May 2009, damion yates told this:
> On Wed, 13 May 2009, Joel Bernstein wrote:
>
> Surely that just moves the cursor?  How many keys do you need to yank
> that in to a buffer?  Frankly it looks lame, don't you have some
> sort of numeric prefix to the search or movement keys?

C-u {number} in front of most things repeats them that many times (some
commands use this argument for other purposes though). C-u on its own
is like C-u 4. C-{number} is like C-u {number}, except that you can
have lots of them in a row; the first non-C-{number} or a C-u ends the
sequence. So:

C-u 4 l ->       llll
C-u 11 l ->      lllllllllll
C-1 C-4 l ->     llllllllllllll
C-u 14 C-u 1 ->  11111111111111
C-1 C-4 C-u 1 -> 11111111111111

That should be enough ways ;)

(We also have an equivalent of vi's do-it-again . in recent Emacsen.)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk