[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri May 15 11:56:18 UTC 2009

On 13 May 2009, Rich Walker said:

> (I know about M-x shell, but it's broken for any real use of the
> terminal. Which always seems funny. Is there a replacement for M-x shell
> which supports a decent subset of termcap?)

In XEmacs, tshell and its underlying engine term.el has for many years
(it can run in a line mode giving you emacs terminal editing, or char
mode giving you terminal emulation, flippable at a keystroke). Emacs
never picked up tshell but did get term.el, so M-x term should work and
give you a reasonably decent terminal emulator.

(C-c C-k to switch to char mode, C-c C-j to switch back to line mode.
In line mode, term is sort of like a souped-up shell.el, although even
then it supports a lot more terminal control codes than shell.el ever
did: just not cursor motion.)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk