[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed May 13 18:36:08 UTC 2009

On 13 May 2009, at 18:19, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
[...]
> Well I've just done a few (not massively scientific tests) picking
> moderately distant points in a block of code and timing how long it
> takes me to select the text between them. In pretty much every case
> the
> mouse takes 3 seconds, the keyboard can take anywhere between 3 and 10
> seconds. Even factoring in  a whole second each way to switch between
> the two (generous if you ask me) that leaves mouse quicker in many
> cases.  If you find it slower maybe your keyboard repeat rate is
> higher
> than mine, or your mouse is slower, or maybe it's because you're only
> displaying 80 cols where as I'm displaying double that?

Or it's because we've learned how to use our tools. Your hypothetical
command-line user apparently doesn't know how to navigate around a
document in their editor except by holding down the cursor keys.
Apparently they were too lazy to invest the half-hour or so required
to work through the rather good tutorial that comes with Emacs. I
routinely navigate around documents and select text using Emacs's
incremental-search - which is explained about 15-20 minutes into the
tutorial - and this is very fast and efficient.

There's also the minor detail that I use Aquamacs Emacs, which is a
variant of GNU Emacs 22 that also acts as a MacOS GUI application,
complete with menus and Apple-style accelerators on top of the
existing Emacs functionality. This gives me the best of both worlds.
So nyaah.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk