[Gllug] Which architecture?

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Fri May 1 10:37:33 UTC 2009

2009/5/1 Steve Kemp <steve at steve.org.uk>:
> >  The only reason not to in the past was for issues with flash, java,
>  and similar software.  These days those problems are largely in the
>  past, and running AMD64 is almost certainly the correct thing to do.
>
>  You'll still be able to run i386 software, and if you wish you can
>  create an entirely separate i386 environment/chroot - something you
>  cannot do the other way round.

I am not a Debianite, however I will back all of these statements up.

At home, I run SuSE, on a Sun Ultra 20, with an Opetron processor. I
recently moved to OpenSuSE 11.1 and Everything Just Works
(except the Brother laser printer, and that's nothing to do with 64 bit!)

Regarding 64 bit distros in general, I've been installing them since
the 64bit SuSE came out in 2003, and can say that in the high
performance computing field 32 bit is dead in the water - you wouldn't
even consider buying a 32 bit processor these days.
And given that I'm currently testing a new desktop with 12 gigs of
RAM, and planning to have more, then 64 bit is a no-brainer!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk