[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun May 17 10:28:04 UTC 2009

On 17 May 2009, Harry Rickards told this:

> On 05/16/09 21:25, Nix wrote:
>> OK, you do text editing inside it too. But also everything else. :)
> If you want to do text editing inside emacs, why not just open up vi
> from inside it? :P

I've done that, but it's sort of silly. I've also run xemacs inside
xemacs's term-mode (very silly).

But if you want vi keybindings and elispy goodness[1], we *have*
viper-mode ;)

[1] note: I am not attempting to claim that MACLISP-era Lisp is in any
    way 'good' except inasmuch as it's better than a hell of a lot of
    other languages, with particular reference to the horrible
    TECO-derived line-noise that is the vi macro language; vim is on
    its way to fixing that, but I doubt you can rewrite the editor in
    its python or perl extensions
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk