[Gllug] Verifying rsync copy

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Wed May 13 13:52:27 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> wrote:

> Why not do the initial copy by burning/posting a DVD (or something),
> then use rsync to keep the copy up to date.

I'd really like to. But even once I'd got the logistics of getting to
the datacentre sorted out, the server in question doesn't have a DVD
drive, and even if it did, I'd still be looking at around 50 DVDs (or
many times that number of CDs -- it does have a CD drive). That's a
lot of messing around. I figure that while I'm on an "unlimited"
bandwidth tariff, I might as well make use of it. There's no great
time pressure. The data isn't critical, and can be reconstructed in
full from original sources if necessary. But it would be nice to have
an offsite backup to save me the hassle of having to do that, should
it become necessary. So if it takes a few weeks, then that's fine with
me, and with a bit of traffic shaping magic, it shouldn't even affect
my other net usage too much. DVDs may not be practical, but if I was
more worried about the data, I'd probably take up a USB external hard
drive for the initial sync.

Tet

--
The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to
understand the exponential function -- Albert Bartlett
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk