[Gllug] OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat May 9 13:36:35 UTC 2009

On 8 May 2009, John Hearns uttered the following:

> 2009/5/8 Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk>:
>>> I assumed this was something hypothetical. The graphics card vendors are
>> announcing new things all the time, so 'new 3D technology' is nowhere
>> near enough. (Is this something GPGPUish? If so, it's not 3D at all, but
>> a way of using your 3D card to do other computations while it's not
>> doing 3D stuff.)
>
> Nix, if you just look at:
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_GeForce_3D_VisionKit_us.html
> Its stereo-shutter glasses, and obviously you need the 120Hz display
> so that half the time it is a 60Hz display.

Oh, right. Not something I'd care about: I don't have stereoscopic
vision in the real world unless I concentrate intensely on it. (Glasses
that could *correct* for severe amblyopia by shifting the scene in one
lens, now that would be interesting. But it's rare enough that I doubt
it will ever happen.))

(And LCD monitors generally find it rather difficult to reach 120Hz:
their refresh rates are often much lower than CRTs.)

> Regarding GPU computing, if you use CUDA you have to either have two
> graphics cards, or run without X.

Ew. Shoddy. Timeshare, guys!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk