[Gllug] [Lonix] Anyone go to CLOUD EXPO EUROPE?

Dave English dave at lutnos.com
Mon May 25 14:30:33 UTC 2009

In message <1243004859160641 at lonix.org.uk>, Tushar Joshi
<tjoshi at lonix.org.uk> writes

>Anyone go to this cloud expo europe thing? Supposed to be a Linux type show
>but I didn't even know about it. What was it like?

It seemed a bit quiet to me.  I went because I happened to be available
that afternoon.  I went hoping to learn something about cloud & was
disappointed in that respect.

When I got there I discovered it was billed as "Cloud Computing,
Virtualization & Open Source".  The show seemed pretty quite, not that
many stands & certainly not that many visitors.  I did wonder whether
the remit pof the show had not been widened just to try to fill it up.

That said, I attended some conference sessions & saw Michael Meeks from
Novell with someone from Intel, ex OpenedHand, demonstrate Moblin.

What did impress me though was seeing a lecture by Jon "maddog" Hall:

http://koolu.com/The-Koolu-Team/maddog.html

He talked about an Open Source phone, the FreeRunner:

http://koolu.com/Content/About-FreeRunner.html

Apart from the usual Open Source benefits, the idea is that one has a
free choice of phone service provider, WiFi VOIP, application to run on
the phone etc..  The price paid is just the up front purchase, instead
of a subsidised deal.

It all really does look like quite a well done affair.

There is more in Mad Dog's blog, not the easiest of URLs:

http://koolu.com/component/option,com_mojo/Itemid,225/

Later that afternoon I was lucky enough to get a quarter of an hour or
so discussing open source in general with him, going all the way back to
Decus (well actually, going back to Harrison's marine chronometer).

Regards
Dave English - dave at lutnos.com