[Gllug] [Lonix] Anyone go to CLOUD EXPO EUROPE?

GLLUG at getaroundtoit.co.uk GLLUG at getaroundtoit.co.uk
Fri May 29 10:51:13 UTC 2009

Andrew, John, et al
>>> Virtualization & Open Source".  > What did impress me though was seeing a
> lecture by Jon "maddog" Hall:

>> That's really frustrating. There is a conference on Open Source
>> software with Maddog giving a talk, and GLLUG or LONIX  doesn't get
>> informed.
>> (ps. that's not a broadside at GLLUG admins  - I would imagine no
>> notice was sent).
>
> I actually see this more as a failing of the conference organizers and it may
> explain the low attendance.  The organizers should have realized he would be a
> draw and to whom he would appeal and advertised to these groups.  If all else
> failed, they could have asked him who to advertise to and he would have let them
> know that LUGs would be a good angle.

Yes, it is both frustrating and disappointing!

Speaking as a (ex-)member of the GLLUG meetings organisers/gang of four
I can tell you that no notice was sent (to me). OTOH the organisers are
likely so busy doing 'their bit' they don't have time to look out for
other possibilities (unless maybe they are looking to share costs!!!)

However this is also not surprising in that GLLUG is such an amorphous
group - one can even argue that this list does not serve as as a
'center' because so many who attend meetings do not subscribe to the
'main' discussion list. Having no central address, no secretariat,
lacking even a formal leader/president/benevolent-dictator, one cannot
reach out and grab 'the (wo)man' - butting your head up against such
things rapidly causes them to fall into the 'too hard' basket!

The idea of having a central hosting/umbrella for LUGs' email and web
goes some way to addressing this, at the logical level. UKUUG have also
been looking at this and have made entreaties to GLLUG (and presumably
others).

Is there also an answer by looking 'inwardly':
<<<
We are about to enter the spring conference/exhibition season. There are
meetings coming up soon for ... Surely some of us are involved in or
close to the organisation of these? ... How about grabbing a speaker to
give a GLLUG talk?

["[Gllug] Grabbing speakers as they fly past", 25/02/2009 20:55
(warning: may be time-zone adjusted!)*]

"ask not what your country...but what you can do for...[GLLUG]"?

Regards,
=dn

* apologies: written whilst offline/unable to give URL to list archives.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk