[Gllug] Which architecture?

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Mon May 4 11:16:26 UTC 2009

On 4 May 2009, at 11:38, John Winters wrote:

> Joel Bernstein wrote:
> [snip]
>> As far as I can tell, none of your statements above are correct. I
>> think the BBC generally have been pretty good about providing open-
>> platform-friendly versions of the iPlayer.
>
> I was wrong about RealPlayer (muddling up iPlayer and Listen Again)
> but
> I have to dispute the "pretty good about providing
> open-platform-friendly versions of the iPlayer".  I gave up trying to
> use iPlayer some time ago because the Beeb were so openly hostile to
> anyone trying to use anything other than Windows.  My information on
> that front was merely out of date.
>
> I'm delighted to find they've fixed their previous appalling position,
> but let's not forget how badly behaved they were to begin with and
> what
> an outcry it caused.

I too was upset at the original beta offering but the actual released
version (since Dec 2008 IIRC) seems very good.

I am happy that the hue and cry over the Windows-only original caused
the BBC to rethink their position. Compare with say Channel 4's 4OD
which is far less usable on open platforms.

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk