[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Sat May 16 06:47:06 UTC 2009

On Friday, 15 May 2009, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
>Indeed I get the impression that most people here use the GUI versions
>whenever they're practical so people _aren't_ generally choosing
>terminal based editors over GUI ones except for practical purposes.

I think you are wrong. Emacs menus and the like are cute, but not
really of much practical use once you have a decent set of finger
macros. Sometimes I'm running Emacs locally and, yes, technically I am
using the GUI version; but I am using it exactly as I would the curses
version over ssh.

>appreciate many of you here are professionals and 'power users' but,
>like it or not, the linux demographic is shifting and it will be far
>less annoying for all of you if you accept the need for simple intuitive
>tools and, dare I say it... user friendliness :)

I detect an enormous straw man lumbering into view.

Today is Gloucesterday, May.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk