[Gllug] Delaying X startup at boot

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Fri May 8 11:43:38 UTC 2009

2009/5/8 Dylan <dylan at dylan.me.uk>:
> On Friday 08 May 2009, Jose Luis Martinez wrote:
>>
>> Then create a script that sleeps 10 sec before the one that starts X,
>> that way even if the Xorg's startup script is replaced your delay
>> remains in place.
>
> Thanks - I'll look into this too - will have to read up on how the init
> scripts interact with eachother, so I'll have something to do in the
> insomniac hours!!

The headers in the init scripts are defined in the Linux Standards Base (*)

I'm familiar with that as I've spent many a jolly hour debugging batch
system (Sun Gridengine) startup modes on clusters - my usual dodge was
just to rename the link in rc3.d to S99sge so it starts last of all.
That's not such a bad thing to do really.

ps. is your X startup question related to network interfaces not coming up?
There are things you can do with the mandatory interfaces settings, so
the system will wait for longer till specific interfaces come up. I've
had to do that on clsuters too.

(*) http://refspecs.freestandards.org/LSB_2.1.0/LSB-generic/LSB-generic/initscrcomconv.html

ps. the LSB is a Good Thing (TM) and should be used as anti-FUD
material when people start going on and on about how Linux is too
difficult to deal with because there are so many distributions and
they make it impossible to choose which one to support. Yada yada...
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk