[Gllug] Moblin

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu May 28 23:51:20 UTC 2009

On 26 May 2009, John Hearns uttered the following:

> A review of Moblin: http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4414&tag=nl.e589
>
> "The home screen, called the M-Zone, is the user’s command center for
> seeing what social network pals are up to and communicating with
> them."
>
> Gak. Hurl. Vomit.

Horrible wording, yes ('pal' was ruined by the nice scheme in the First
World War to get every young man in a neighbourhood killed by the same
shell). But...

> So here we have more computing capacity that Nasa used to get to the
> Moon - and its Linux too. And what is it used for?
> Twitter. (Sorry. Have to chunder again).

... this is what people (well, neurotypicals, i.e. not me) *do* with new
technology. We're a chattering social species, so anything new gets used
for conversation first and everything else second. When the telephone
originally came in they had ideas like news over the phone, music over
the phone... all failed, and what survived? Chatting over the phone.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk