[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Matthew King mking at knight.monnsta.net
Thu May 14 09:53:45 UTC 2009

James Hawtin <oolon at ankh.org> writes:

> nohup however with screen you can monitor the status of your download. Then
> there is the multiple screens, side-by-side mode, etc. It hardly has many
> you need to know they all start with Ctrl-A. So its really does not have to
> much impack on other program use.

Therein lies problem 1 - C-a is a very useful keystroke which screen
swallows and breaks with problem 2 - To pass an actual C-a you don't
push C-a C-a, no, you push C-a a.

So if you're using minicom, which swallows C-a in its own way, and want
to pass a C-a to a screened application you're running on the remote
console you've logged in to, you need to push C-a C-a to give the
destination screen a C-a and then a to get it to pass that C-a on to its
shell.

And if you're running minicom in screen and want the shell to get a C-a,
the sequence is C-a a C-a a.

And again, if you're running screen -> minicom -> screen -> shell, then
you're nuts.

I find it best to at least put 'escape ^A^A' (those are actual carets)
in .screenrc to fix problem 2. Still have to remember though when I use
screen on a computer without my profile.

Or there's dtach.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk