[Gllug] Which architecture?

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Tue May 5 12:00:35 UTC 2009

On 5 May 2009, at 12:53, Juergen Schinker wrote:

>> However, the BBC don't have the rights to offer all of the content
>> they
>> broadcast for unlimited download. Purchasing those rights would be
>> insanely
>> expensive and make the TV License cost of the order of a grand a
>> year.
>>

> Since they produce themselves they have all the rights as well and

Clearly you're a great expert on this but the BBC have to produce a
proportion of their content through external production houses and are
meant to buy/rent content too. They certainly don't produce everything
they broadcast, and of the things they do some have radically
different licencing schemes (e.g. Match of the Day, which certainly
isn't on iPlayer).

> should broadcast it at least in a free Format (dirac anyone) esp

AIUI the Dirac codec doesn't perform at remotely the level required
for it to compete with H.264 at useful bitrates.

> since they are funded by the public (TV Licence buyer)

AIUI the TV Licence covers live broadcasts but not rebroadcasts. You
don't need a licence to watch iPlayer, only BBC live streams. So I am
not sure the BBC would agree with your analysis here anyway.

Do you actually have any knowledge here or are you just spouting
uninformed opinions?

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk