[Gllug] best way to update a single production server?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri May 1 10:47:07 UTC 2009

Khusro Jaleel wrote:
> Another option might be to use VMs? So we setup each server with 2
> VMs, so while we update 1, the other one takes over, but uses the same
> IPs?

This depends a lot on the performance level's you are expecting. In many
cases, native performance > VM performance.

But, nothing stops you from setting up a VM, on a non production machine
to mirror the production machine and then use that VM to run the various
update scenarios you might want to consider.

Many people run a complete production network, down to the dns/ip level
inside containerised vm farms ( if you are using a config and a state
management setup like spacewalk+cobbler+puppet  the amount of work
required to manage this container is near zero. )

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk