[Gllug] best way to update a single production server?

Andy Millar andy at andymillar.co.uk
Mon May 4 11:40:20 UTC 2009

> Just as an aside for those who do not have it as their role to keep up
> with hardware availability, despite the 'crisis' and the consequent jump
> in UK price of Chinese-made hardware (much of everything!), it is still
> possible to purchase - fairly cheaply - real server hardware (albeit
> low-end) that will will support server-level loads as a fall-back.
>
> One example is the HP ML115 series, built with AMD Opterons and a
> low-end server-class chipset and board. We bought loads of these for the
> spares cupboard for just over £100 each, they are still around for about
> £140:

Hardware is cheap, there is no doubt about that. Even the mid-range HP
DL380s are available for around £2500 with a Quad Core CPU and 32GB RAM.
A base spec one starts at £1300 (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145631).

Co-lo for any of the servers mentioned, however, would be anything but
cheap. I suspect on any of the low-mid end HP gear with stock PSUs will
cost somewhere in the region of £150-200 per month given their epic
power consumption.

Andy
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk