[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed May 13 12:00:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 12:51:35PM +0100, Rich Walker wrote:
> Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> writes:
>> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 11:11:32AM +0100, Rich Walker wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Yes, yes it does, but then it takes over the entire terminal, which means
>>> I need to open another one...
>>
>> Alternatively, learn how to use Unix job control. It's one of those things
>> you need to know in order to be an efficient shell user.
>
> I know about job control, thanks :=)
>
> I like to have my emacs running in a separate window from my terminal
> shell, so I can run e.g. a full-screen curses program at the same
> time. Forgetting to do -X on ssh is my leading problem with that...

So you want two terminal windows, without the need to open two
terminal windows?

Why not just open another terminal on your local machine and run
another SSH connection to get your shell?

If you don't like entering you password again then use a key
protected by a pass-phrase, and ssh-agent to cache the key.