[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Fri May 15 15:10:23 UTC 2009

Nix wrote:
> One thing in particular that torpedoes me when using lesser editors is
> the absence of any equivalent to emacs's mark ring. I rely on being able
> to do things like searches, followed by hopping *back to where I was
> before*[2]. And *everything* that moves the cursor a large distance
> or in a way that isn't trivially reversible (so not pg-up) pops the
> old position on the mark stack.
>
> (I know you know this, I'm just pointing it out to the poor sods who
> think that other editors are in some way preferable).

Eclipse has this, it's one of my favourite features :)

> Emacs's biggest downside is appalling defaults. Once it's configured
> nicely, it's impossible to go back to anything else. Everything else is
> just too crude. (I tried Eclipse the other day. I couldn't extend the
> editor on the fly or fix niggles in its behaviour! You have to 'load
> plugins' written in some horrible halfwitted procedural language plainly
> unsuited to interactive use, 'Java' or something.)

Yeah Java can be like pulling teeth but it's massively powerful and
flexible, which I gather has always been Emacs USP right? The prevailing
attitude here seems to be "don't be a wuss" when faced with learning
curves like the white cliffs of Dover so "it took me a whole day and it
still didn't work" wouldn't seem to be a good defence ;-) As with Emacs,
Eclipse's default configuration is rubbish, and it can take quite a
while to mold and shape it to your taste, especially if you are starting
from a zero knowledge point.

>>> the point? On a side note, I've just decided I'm going to call the next
>>> machine I build chocohammer ;)
>>>

> I wish I'd thought of that. plasma-lolly is still free, though, as is
> coalshuttle.

LOL.

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk