[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon May 18 08:38:49 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 12:16:59AM -0400, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:

> > oneliners when necessary, but as time went by I found myself using shell
> > oneliners for *everything* and the GUI not at all.
> Yeah, you see I'm not there. I do a fair bit of web design and it's
> lovely being able to view a folder of pictures by thumbnail and view and
> sort lots of files quickly by type and date etc.

I agree there ... if I am looking through some pics this seems best.
It is a case of using whatever tool is best for the particular job.

> supercomputing I can rent time on one. Likewise, if I need to write a
> program I'd prefer to write it in Python to C and if I need a document
> I'd prefer to bash it out in Office rather than Latex. If I need raw

I bash documents out in my office as well - Troff rather than Latex.
Oh: by 'Office' you mean 'MS Office' not a location - please be clear!

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk