[Gllug] performance of xen dom0 vs native linux

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Sun May 10 14:18:27 UTC 2009

2009/5/10 Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org>:
>> On Sat, May 09, 2009 at 10:31:33PM +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> 2009/5/9 Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org>:
>
>> The memory management problems found in the x86 hardware can be
>> mitigated by using software that does it better, e.g. The Java VM.
>
> This doesn't even make sense.  It has nothing to do with
> virtualization.
>
> [Another random anecdote that has nothing to do with the subject snipped]
>
> Rich.

Memory management/fragmentation is certainly a problem when one scales
up the amount of virtual machines per physical x86 CPU. Your "It has
nothing to do with virtualization" statement is just plain wrong.
I agree that someone running the odd virtual machine for test purposes
is unlikely to actually see the problem, but for people using
virtualization for mission critical services may very well run up
against it.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk