[Gllug] best way to update a single production server?

j.roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Tue May 5 11:08:57 UTC 2009

Khusro Jaleel wrote:

> I assume, then, that if you have 2 web servers with failover (Xen,
> LVS, firewall, whatever), then if you need to do a little DB storage,
> let's say a simple User Guestbook, etc then it's best to put the DB on
> another server, isn't it, or a NAS, etc? This is assuming a web server
> that is 99% read-only, with only the occasional DB access.
>
> Can you guys recommend a good NAS for this purpose, if that is a good
 > solution?

I am wary of NAS boxes (at least, the cheap ones). Things like the
Thecus are adequate, but do not (AFAIK) support parity-checked RAM and
other things I want on any server. I also have found them to be horridly
slow (not surprising when you look at the ancient slow CPUs they
typically apply).

The cheap 'proper' servers mentioned before do support all this, are
fast, and are not more expensive.

But if you have a NAS box available it could be used. I would not buy
one for this.

Jose Luis Martinez wrote:

> Big shops normally adhere to the mantra of a system (or group of
> systems) per function. You will not see a DNS, mail, web and DB server
> function running from the same set of machines....

Absolutely. Even smaller shops: we prefer to do this for clients with
more than 40 users.

--

James Roberts
Stabilys.com