[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Thu May 14 08:36:37 UTC 2009

On 13 May 2009, at 23:28, Tethys wrote:
> Joel Bernstein writes:
>> In vi:
>> v3j5ff
>> v = enter visual mode
>> 3j = move down 3 lines (3 <down> also works)
>> 5ff = the 5th f character
>
> I think you mean in vim. In vi, there is no visual selection mode,

Probably. I always use vim. I also get a bit blurry about which vim
features weren't in original Bill Joy vi.

> although having grown up without one, I don't tend to miss it. I'd
> achieve the same thing by setting a mark and deleting/yanking/whatever
> to that mark.

I find I use marks very rarely. Typically only for jumping the cursor
between two points in the same file. Typically though I would use two
windows onto the same buffer to achieve that though. I use visual
selection mode a lot though (I like the word-selection keys etc, like
"iw" for inner-word etc) and would miss that. Is it present in nvi,
elvis and so on?

> By the way, you also need a ^ or | before your 5ff.

Only for a more exact interpretation of my instructions where you mean
the 5th 'f' from the start of the line. But yes, accepted, you'd
almost certainly want this in reality.

/joel

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk