[Gllug] Which architecture?

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Wed May 6 10:30:52 UTC 2009

Juergen Schinker wrote:
>> However, the BBC don't have the rights to offer all of the content they
>> broadcast for unlimited download. Purchasing those rights would be insanely
>> expensive and make the TV License cost of the order of a grand a year.
>>

> Since they produce themselves they have all the rights as well and
>
> should broadcast it at least in a free Format (dirac anyone) esp
>
> since they are funded by the public (TV Licence buyer)
>

>> So the FLV streaming is a compromise solution which satisfies the vast
>> majority of users without costing substantially more.

As he says, they don't have the right to offer ALL of the content they
broadcast for unlimited download. The stuff they make themselves they
can, the stuff they buy in from indy production houses they can't.
Tonnes of stuff on the beeb is bought in not homegrown. They're being
pretty open with the stuff they can be open with I think. I heard
they've even started releasing one of their tech shows under a CC
license so you can use their footage legally in your own non-commercial
vids, pretty progressive for one of the worlds biggest broadcasters...
They're definitely worth the telly tax IMHO :-)

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk