[Gllug] clueless at IPMI, hellp!

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun May 17 21:06:14 UTC 2009

On 17 May 2009, John Hearns outgrape:

> 2009/5/17 Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk>:
>>
>> Ah, so it *does* only get connected to one port, then. That explains my
>> initial troubles...
>
> There is an alternative - it can be connected to a dedicated port on the box.
> Supermicro have this as an option, using what looks like a mini-USB cable.

That'd be a good idea if the box had any spare holes in it, but it doesn't,
and cutting holes in the case isn't my idea of a good time (tho' I suppose
it could fit in a PCI slot, maybe).

This is fine, though: it's not as if it's going to conflict with
anything there.

> The original Sun Opteron servers had two dedicated ports - one up and
> one down, the intention being to daisy chain rack mounted servers.

Typical Sun good design :) shame their disks keep failing so often
though. I actually prefer random PCs because when there's a power cut
and the UPS fails I can almost guarantee that at least one hard drive in
at least one of our Suns will fail. The x86-64 Linux boxes just keep
ticking.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk