[Gllug] best way to update a single production server?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon May 4 09:05:49 UTC 2009

Khusro Jaleel wrote:
> I apologise for coming back to this thread so late, I obviously made a
> mistake by stating "MUST be up 24/7" as it seems to have upset quite a
> lot of people.

I don't think you upset anyone at all - it's just important to get a
clear idea of what is and what isn't possible.

> I have not been told that this website must be up 24/7,
> but it would not be nice if it did go down.

Too often a stated management requirement of "must be up 24/7" turns out
on investigation to be a mis-statement of "would not be nice if it did
go down".

I think the advice you were being given was more to try to stop you
driving yourself nuts trying to fulfill an impossible requirement.

Cheers,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk