[Gllug] Programmer Wanted (scripter and compiler)

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri May 8 06:46:46 UTC 2009

On 6 May 2009, John Hearns outgrape:
> I had a Sparc 1+ with all of 2 gigs of RAM (which was an upgraqde on
> the standard 1gig). Even a simplified 2D problem would swap horribly,
> and I had to start a run and come back the next moring to see if it
> worked.

Some of the stuff I'm doing now, I have to start a run and come back
next *week*. Oh, and one machine is in my bedroom so it keeps me
awake till then.

It's time to rethink this.

> A comment once made to me was that for medical work the results have
> to come back in an horu or two - during the duration of a clinic. The
> same goes in many other fields - 'time to solution' is important.

It's not *important* in my case: it's just a waste of lifetime waiting.

> So I absolutely agree with what you say - increasing CPU power, and
> harnessing parallel facilities, makes new types of work feasible.

The 'oh hell this isn't parallelized even though it's potentially
parallelizable, I'd better work to fix that' type of work, for starters!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk