[Gllug] Delaying X startup at boot

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Thu May 7 10:12:45 UTC 2009

On Thursday 07 May 2009, Matthew King wrote:
> Dylan <dylan at dylan.me.uk> writes:
> > At the moment, I'm going with the former workaround, but how do I
> > convince the machine to wait until later in the boot process to start the
> > X server/kdm?
>
> Just disable xdm (or as in my case, load it for xdmcp but don't run any
> servers) and start X manually with startx (or, rather, startx&exit
> otherwise your terminal will remain open).

That's still a *manual* process, and I'm quite capable of issuing a logout on
the terminal after switching runlevel - my issue is to make X start later
WITHOUT having to intercede and without fscking up something I'll have
trouble fixing.

Dx

--
“ ‘... but there is so much else behind what I say. It makes itself known to
me so slowly, so incompletely! ...’ ”
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk