[Gllug] Which architecture?

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Fri May 1 20:47:16 UTC 2009

--------

Matthew King writes:

>Well that's not strictly true. You can run a 64-bit kernel with a 32-bit
>userland, thus allowing for the possibility of a 64-bit chroot.
>
>Why you'd want to is left as an exercise for the reader.

Because it's the sensible thing to do in some cases. I don't know
if it's still the case, but we certainly used to run 32-bit userland
with a 64-bit kernel on sparc64, simply because the architechture
made that the optimal thing to do. Sure, you could run a full 64-bit
userland, but you needed to be happy to take the performance hit in
doing so (the same is not true in the amd64/em64t world).

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk