[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Wed May 13 19:24:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 01:58:34PM +0100, Rich Walker wrote:
> John Hearns wrote:
>
> > Bewtter still, give 'screen' a try
> > http://www.rackaid.com/resources/linux-tutorials/general-tutorials/using-screen/
>
> Screen has never agreed with me. Not quite sure why - I think it's a
> residual prejudice against anything that adds extra hotkeys to my
> life... No, I think I'm just going to have to set all my logins to be
> rude to me if I've failed to turn on X.

Screen is the best program ever in my book, the first time you have had to
put up with a flacky internet connection, it proves its worth, as you can
just reconnect and reattach to the screen session. Screen is great for
downloads, getting that iso file via wget in a terminal logout of X, its
kills your wget, screen would have protected you. yes I gotou could use
nohup however with screen you can monitor the status of your download. Then
there is the multiple screens, side-by-side mode, etc. It hardly has many
you need to know they all start with Ctrl-A. So its really does not have to
much impack on other program use.

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk