[Gllug] best way to update a single production server?

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Wed May 6 10:03:48 UTC 2009

Khusro Jaleel wrote:
> Thanks, guys, for all your feedback.
>
> I assume, then, that if you have 2 web servers with failover (Xen,
> LVS, firewall, whatever), then if you need to do a little DB storage,
> let's say a simple User Guestbook, etc then it's best to put the DB on
> another server, isn't it, or a NAS, etc? This is assuming a web server
> that is 99% read-only, with only the occasional DB access.
>
> Can you guys recommend a good NAS for this purpose, if that is a good solution?
>
> I know DB mirroring between the 2 servers that are running in tandem
> can be setup, but I don't think it would work as reliably? I know
> sometimes you need to promote DB slaves to masters before they will
> work?

If you only want a 'little DB storage' and it's not particularly
sensitive data then I'd be pretty tempted to lump it in there with the
web server, save yourself another box to administer. Of course if you
might need it to scale up quickly in the future you should probably use
a separate box. Even then, if you're using xen you're better off using a
virtual box for your DB than a real one (easy to backup and live
syncable for quick failover).

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk