[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Fri May 15 17:06:02 UTC 2009

On 15 May 2009, at 17:51, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> Anyway since this thread has started I have tried to put the past
> behind
> me and have spent a bit of time acquainting myself with Emacs and Vim,
> seeing as how everyone here seem to have nothing bad to say about them
> and consensus that they are veritable force magnifiers. Having duly
> invested 20 minutes dicking around and glancing at the tutorials of
> each

If you're interested in learning enough of either to make an informed
opinion this seems a good start.

I keep these bookmarked to show to people who occasionally ask me what
the advantage is:
http://www.viemu.com/a-why-vi-vim.html
http://www.viemu.com/a_vi_vim_graphical_cheat_sheet_tutorial.html
http://jmcpherson.org/editing.html

> I have to say...
> Emacs clearly kicks Vim's ass! ;D

Emacs kicks vi's ass, given you're coming from a GUI editor/IDE
perspective.
Vim, or perhaps gvim, suitably configured, is equally good or better.
Unless you want to read your email in your editor. Using either for
long will involve learning to install and configure its plugins. 20
minutes probably isn't enough for that.

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk