[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sun May 10 07:41:00 UTC 2009

2009/5/10 Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk>:

> IMHO *nix sysadmins should know how to use ed:
> * helps in the understanding of bits of: sed, vi & perl
> * can dig you out of a hole when a visual editor wont work - 'cos terminfo is knackered

I'll agree with that.
When I was but a young Padewan, I had a Sun Sparcstation go belly-up
with some problem or other. I was most impressed when my Jedi Master
came over from our other site, and revived said system - we were able
to get it up into single user mode, with only the shell intrinsics and
ed working. Knowing some ed, he was able to fix the problem and get
the system up and running.

So as Alain says, remember a bit of ed, and know your shell intrinsics.
For todays padewans, I really mean echo - if you have a shell, you can
always 'echo' something onto the end, or overwrite, a configuration
file.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk